Saturday, September 14, 2013

No Guts, No Glory



I wouldn't get out alive!
5 STARS!! Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls is the latest reality TV show on NBC and I love it! We're three episodes in, but this is a show you can pick up at any point. The premise is wonderful; teams of two work together and with the other teams to get out of extreme wilderness situations alive. The last team standing wins $500k. Wow. There is no voting, no tribal council, no finish line. Bear watches, aids when necessary, councils, and decides who wouldn't make it on their own. He's looking for spirit and strength of character. He's looking for smarts and ingenuity. The message behind the show makes it great for the whole family.

Loved it.
I'm a total fan of these "good luck as we drop you off in a remote place" shows...except for Survivor...well that's another review altogether.

Anyway, the unique twist to this show is that groups all have specific tasks (shelter, food, navigation etc) so everyone is relying on that team for the necessary task...and every task is in reality a life or death decision if one was to be out in the field doing this without reality TV looking in.

So just how real is this one? Well, how about drink your own urine mixed with mud water, boil it to 90 degrees to kill bacteria, then cool it to a chilly (not) 60 degrees and drink it as fast as you can real. I was gagging and eyes were watering just watching them struggle to drink the mixture.

Yep. I'm tuning in for episode 2 for sure.

I love Man Vs Wild but this is a weaker show.
This is basically a cross between the amazing race and Man V. Wild. It was entertaining, but no where near so to that of the Man V. wild show. This is because bear accounts for a small percentage of the action. He is basically the host, but most of the time its amateurs V. wild, which means they are doing less intensive things. For me the game show for 500K is little too much of "survivor" like show and little to little bear.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment